For many people who are thinking of retiring in a sun-soaked country, which is relatively cheap, exciting, safe, and not too far from the US, Costa Rica is a good choice- in fact it is probably the best place to retire. But why Costa Rica and not other places? Well, there are many reasons for moving to Costa Rica and they include the following:
- English is widely spoken everywhere in Costa Rica and you will have no problems communicating in most parts of the country. Almost every business in Costa Rica is conducted both in English and Spanish and hence you may not have problems communicating at the post office, the Phone Company, or utilities. However, learning a few Spanish words may not be a bad idea if you plan to travel inland.
- If you have small children, do not have any worries; in the last ten years, Costa Rica has developed excellent international schools which provide education on par with what is available in the US. Further, if you have pets, bring them along. Costa Rica is one of the few Latin countries that adores pets.
- If you love to chat with people back home, bring your own unlocked digital device and buy a local Sim card. Costa Rica offers great cell phone coverage with rates as low as $25 a month.
- Most people can live very comfortably on $1,500 – $2,000 a month. This is well below what it costs in the USA. If you buy a home, expect the cost of utilities, labor, and property tax to be very low. If you like to be on beach, then the best destinations to move to in Costa Rica are Playas del Coco; Hermosa and Playa Ocotal located in the north it is the best place to purchase real estate and to vacation as well. It is considered Costa Rican Gold Coast, where a lot of new developments are happening.
- Cost of properties in Costa is very affordable. Depending of your choice of location, climate, accommodation preferences, you can get a nice 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo (townhouse) for a bit over $100,000, a nice small home could be bought for around $200,000, and beautiful luxury homes with ocean views or ocean fronts properties could be bought for much less than in US. Also, there are still a lot of development and investment opportunities available in the county as well a great Costa Rica land parcels could be purchased at good prices.
- Ultimate diversity of nature. One of the primary reasons why people move to Costa Rica is to experience nature. The country has enormous ecological diversity with epic volcanoes, natural hot springs, tall mountains, hundreds of miles of shoreline, exotic plants and marine life, raging waterfalls, and an abundance of greenery. While visiting, you need to go on Costa Rica tours, to see this beautiful nature, otherwise, if you just stayed in the hotel all your Costa Rica vacation, it is like you never have been here. Don’t, miss real Costa Rican experience, tour around this beautiful country.
- If you fall sick, no problem; Costa Rica is now a top destination for excellent quality healthcare. There are clinics and hospitals located all over the country. Procedures in Costa Rica cost only a fraction of what it would cost in USA. The majority of doctors are trained in the USA. You can even get premium insurance for only $80 a month.
- If you want all year round warm weather, then Costa Rica is for you. Even during the rainy season, there are sunny days and the nights are comfortable. The country is ecofriendly and you won’t have to breathe car fumes or face smog like in Los Angeles or other large cities of the world.
- If you miss home, then all you do is get on a plane and you are in America in a few hours. There are flights from Costa Rica to most major US cities and the cost of airfare is very affordable.
- You won’t feel lonely as there is a large expat community. Over the years, these communities have established schools, food markets, restaurants, cafés, exercise parlors and regularly meet for social events.
- Live healthy. The food in Costa Rica is more on the natural side; there are many types of delicious fruits and ample vegetables all year round.
- Unlike most Central American countries the government in Costa Rica is very stable, democratic and has a thriving economy. In fact Costa Rica has the oldest democratic country in the Latin America. People of Costa Rica are very friendly, hospitable and support foreigners. In fact, Costa Rica has one of the highest literary rates in the world.
- If you love the outdoors, then Costa Rica is the mecca of nature; there are ample swells for surfers, unlimited hiking trails, hundreds of rivers for kayaking and beautiful mountains to climbs. If you are an adrenaline junkie then Costa Rica also offer bungee jumping and ziplining.
Costa Rica may not be a home for everyone but for those who are looking for a more relaxed form of life with everyday comforts and love nature, then this is the place to move to. However, if you are an indoor person and only watch, then Costa Rica is definitely not for you. Pura Vida is what you going to find here, meaning relaxing and laid back style of leaving. So come here and PURA VIDA!